Saturday, September 1, 2007

Paradise

Everyone has their opinion or idea of what "paradise" actually is. How it feels. What it looks like. Something that one person defines as paradise may for someone else be simply ordinary or uninspired.

My "paradise" is a feeling. It is it the state of mind when everything inside me emotionally, spiritually and physically just feels "on". It is that place in time where I feel that I have passed a milestone and at that moment in time, I have gained just a bit more insight about life and how the world operates. It is a place where life has granted me one more serving of wisdom.

At that exact moment there is such a state of bliss. There are no stress or worries. There is simply this amazing feeling of contentment. It is as if I have taken a huge inhale, exhaled all the bad inside, and simply let it all go. Everything seems perfect. The wind blows at exactly the right speed. The sun beats down on my skin juuuuust right. Conversations are stimulating. Everything just "is".

I often wonder if it is possible to sustain this state of bliss. Perhaps as I navigate through life and with each of these milestones, I will be given just a smidge more paradise. Each episode will last a bit longer than the last and the space between each milestone will get shorter and shorter. In time every day will be my own paradise.

Is it possible to live life in such a state of "on" that we become capable of maneuvering around obstacles that we so easily entangle ourselves in? Why not? We are such brilliant and smart beings. Why do we allow ourselves to be ruled by emotions rather than common sense? I would like to think that sustaining this feeling is a decision. That when life situations come in to distract me from this feeling of contentment, that I can quickly take myself back to right here, right now and remember that this is how my spirit is supposed to feel. That the chaos of every day life is a fabricated reality that I can decide to participate in, or leave behind in favor of paradise. Mind over matter. It is an experiment in the making. Paradise can be wherever or whenever I choose to participate in its existence.